Texas district halts football after more coronavirus cases

Navarro ISD suspended its football program until Aug. 24 after reporting five new cases of the novel coronavirus, superintendent Wendi Russell announced on the school district’s website on Friday.

So far, the Guadalupe County district – located near Seguin, about 45 miles northeast of San Antonio – has announced 18 total cases of COVID-19 — 10 staff members and eight students. Anyone who was in close proximity with the infected individuals have been notified, Russell said in the online statement.

The district will open its schools for in-person and virtual learning Wednesday. Extracurricular activities, however, have started with the UIL allowing practices for all sports at sub-Class 5A schools to begin on Aug. 3. Navarro competes in Class 4A, Division II.

It’s unclear if all the students or the staff members who tested positive were participating in extracurricular activities. However, last week the district announced its first two student COVID-19 cases were partaking in extracurricular activities. According to Russell, the district is requiring face masks and temperature checks at its schools. She also said the district is sanitizing surfaces daily.

“I want to assure parents and community members that we are doing everything possible to keep our schools and extra-curricular areas sanitized and free from germs,” Russell wrote.

tinyurlis.gdv.gdv.htu.nuclck.ruulvis.netshrtco.detny.im

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>