Photo: Eric Gay, STF / Associated Press
Image 1 3
Three people have died in Port Arthur, Texas, possibly from carbon monoxide poisoning from improper generator use, the Beaumont Enterprise reports.
Four others were transported to the hospital in critical condition.
AFTER THE STORM: Texas leaders renew call to build the Ike Dike after threat from Laura
“The Fire Dept. and the Police Dept. responded to a call at 720 Ninth ave., and when we got there we found out that three people had passed,” Port Arthur Police Chief Tim Duriso told The Enterprise. “We are suspecting it is due to carbon monoxide poisoning.”
A generator was found running inside. Generators produce carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas that causes at least 430 deaths each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Back-up generators should be placed outside and more than 20 feet from the home.
The Port Arthur Police Department wants to remind everyone that it is never an option to run a generator in an enclosed or partially enclosed structure, including living spaces,” the department wrote on Facebook. “Portable generators can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas making it nearly impossible to detect before it’s too late. Always keep and read the owner’s manual and follow all safety guidelines and warnings provided.”
Hurricane Laura has caused parts of Southeast Texas to lose power. Crews are still working to restore electricity in the area.