The Houston Chronicle’s Live Updates blog documents the latest events in the coronavirus outbreak in the Houston area, the state of Texas and across the U.S. with a focus on health and economic impacts.
The Houston Chronicle’s ongoing coverage is available to subscribers. Subscribe now for full access and to support our work.
Total coronavirus cases:
• 444,566 cases in Texas, including 7,328 deaths.
• 105,765 in the Houston region, including 1,708 deaths.
• More than 4.4 million in the U.S., including 151,834 deaths. Click here to see a U.S. map with state-by-state death tolls and the latest coronavirus case counts.
• More than 17 million in the world, with more than 671,000 deaths. More than 9.9 million people have recovered. You can view the worldwide totals here.
Resources on COVID-19 and Texas’ reopening: Use our interactive page to track the spread of cases through Harris County and the rest of Texas. For a detailed look at our state, check out the Chronicle’s Texas Coronavirus Map. To get regular updates on our coverage, sign up for our coronavirus newsletter.
Latest updates from today:
4 p.m. The government’s official data on the coronavirus outbreak is startling: More than 4.6 million cases in the U.S. More than 440,000 in Texas. More than 70,000 in Harris County.
But those numbers don’t include all positive COVID-19 patients.
Texas, unlike 27 other states, excludes the results of increasingly popular, rapid COVID-19 tests from the numbers it reports publicly — obscuring the scope of the pandemic, records and interviews show. The antigen tests are used in doctor’s offices, hospitals and stand-alone clinics and deliver results in less than 30 minutes.
– Matt Dempsey, Stephanie Lamm and Jordan Rubio.